The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden was awarded LEED Gold certification April 22, 2016 for its Africa exhibit. The Zoo’s newest and largest exhibit includes naturalistic spaces for lions, cheetahs, painted dogs and mixed hoof stock. A 400,000-gallon underground detention tank below the Painted Dogs Valley collects rainwater that’s filtered and used to feed the streams, waterfalls and tanks in Africa and other Zoo exhibits.
Other green feature include:
- Drought tolerant landscaping
- Efficient plumbing fixtures including faucets, toilets and waterless urinals
- Diverted over 95% of the construction waste to recycling centers and away from landfills
- 12% of materials used were recycled
- Used low VOC materials on the interior of the buildings
- Used solar tubes for natural lighting of the animal holding areas