Cincinnati, Ohio, also known as “Queen City” or “Pearl of the West”, is surrounded by hills on all sides and located in a basin at the north bank of the Ohio River. It has a variety of museums and is a haven for art lovers and history buffs. Here are the 5 best tourist attractions in Cincinnati:
1. Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden: The Cincinnati Zoo is a delight to both children and adults. It is spread over 85 acres and has more than 500 animals including Bengal Tigers and Gorillas. If you are in Cincinnati during the spring season, do visit the zoo as the tulips bloom in the spring and the zoo has beautiful landscaping. The zoo has various interactive activities scheduled during the day that visitors can take part in.
2. Taft Art Museum: The Taft Art Museum is housed in a mansion build in 1820 and displays an impressive collection of over 700 pieces of art. The Baum-Longworth-Taft house where the museum is housed is truly majestic Palladium style building. The artwork on display once belonged to a private collection. It has paintings by the Old Masters and European Decorative Arts and also some beautiful sculptures and pieces of furniture. There is also a unique statue of Abraham Lincoln created by George Grey Barnard in front of the museum. The museum is also listed as a National Historic Landmark.
3. Irwin M. Krohn Conservatory: The Krohn Conservatory can be considered as the horticultural equivalent to the Cincinnati Zoo. It has over 3500 species of plants from all around the world. It also has special themed rooms with desert and tropical rainforest plant species. The conservatory also has a waterfall. It is a truly educational experience for adults and children alike. It has various exhibits that keep changing throughout the year.
4. Music Hall: The Cincinnati Music Hall was built in 1878 and has since been renovated. The Springer Auditorium inside the Music Hall can seat around 3500 and hosts the Cincinnati Ballet, Orchestra, and Opera. The has two tiers of the balcony and truly beautiful and ornate ceiling. The Music Hall also has a ballroom that hosts various events and exhibits and can accommodate 1300 people. The Corbett Tower is ideal for the smaller events.
5. Coney Island: Coney Island is situated on the banks of the Ohio River and is an amusement park and water park. If you are travelling with kids, then you should definitely visit Coney Island for a fun filled day that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It has one roller coaster, three Sunlite pool slides and a plethora of flat rides. They also have 5 kiddie rides.